Dealing with maintenance

Dealing with maintenance

Maintenance for the children

The statutory child maintenance services

The Child Maintenance Service (CMS) manages all applications for a statutory child maintenance arrangement.

You, as the parent with care of the children, can use the CMS to get child maintenance from the parent who does not live with the child (the 'non-resident parent'). It can calculate the child maintenance that the non-resident parent should pay. You can also ask the CMS to enforce and collect payment on your behalf. This is the 'Collect and Pay' system of the CMS. The non-resident parent will pay the maintenance to the CMS, which will pay it over to you. However, an application fee and ongoing collection charges apply when you use the service.

Before approaching the CMS, you should first try to reach a family-based arrangement. A family-based arrangement is a child maintenance agreement that you have negotiated directly with the non-resident parent. You can use the Child Maintenance Calculator to calculate the amount that the non-resident parent can be expected to pay.

The CMS can deal with an application for child maintenance if:

  • The child is not a stepchild;
  • The child has at least one non-resident parent;
  • The child is either under 16, or between 16 and 20 and in full-time non-advanced (i.e. no higher than A-level) education; and
  • The child, the receiving parent and the non-resident parent all live in the UK.

The only exceptions to the last rule are if the non-resident parent is employed by the civil service, diplomatic service or UK armed forces, or by a company registered in the UK.

You have to contact Child Maintenance Options before you can apply to CMS. See for more information.

The court

The court can make maintenance orders:

  • where a child is 16 or over and is in full-time education or training for a trade, profession or vocation;
  • for stepchildren;
  • for school-fee payments;
  • for regular payments to be made on top of the maximum amount calculated by the CMS; and
  • for additional payments to meet some or all of the expenses relating directly to a child's disability (including blindness), although consideration should be given to whether or not disability living allowance is being paid.

The court can also make other financial provision for children, such as lump sum and/or transfer of property orders.

Where the court assesses maintenance, Income Support Child Rates and the National Minimum Allowance Rates for Fostered Children can guide them. Also, the courts can take into account what a parent would have been ordered to pay if it were an application through the services.

Private maintenance agreements and consent orders

Parents do not need to use the services. In fact, they are encouraged to negotiate directly with each other and come to a family-based arrangement. The services are really for parents who are unable to reach an agreement between themselves.

If parties enter into a legally binding agreement that is registered in the Books of Council and Session, then the services will not have jurisdiction to calculate maintenance until a year and a day after the agreement was entered into. This is because, in Scotland, these agreements have the same force as Court Orders.

Copyright © 2021 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).