Law guide: Complaints and disputes

See how we helped Liz

"It's not just a website... there are people there on call who can help answer your queries."

Liz W, London

Court fees (England and Wales)

Court fees (England and Wales)

Starting your claim

To issue a claim form where your claim is for money only and the amount is:

Amount of claimCourt issued feeMoney claim online

Up to £300



£300.01 - £500



£500.01 - £1,000



£1,000.01 - £1,500



£1,500.01 - £3,000



£3,000.01 - £5,000



£5,000.01 - £10,000



£10,000.01 - £15,000

5% of claim value

4.5% of claim value

£15,000.01 - £50,000

5% of claim value

4.5% of claim value

£50,000.01 - £100,000

5% of claim value

4.5% of claim value

£100,000.01 - £150,000

5% of claim value


£150,000.01 - £200,000

5% of claim value


Over £200,000



Non-money claims

To issue a claim for something other than money, including possession, the following fees will be payable based on where you start your claim:

  • High Court £480
  • County Court £280
  • Possession Claims Online (PCOL) £250

(PCOL can only be used for possessions concerning rent or mortgage arrears).

Certain non-money claims will attract the multi-track allocation, pre-trial checklist and hearing fees. You should check with the court to see if your case is affected.

Other fees

There are a variety of other fees that may be applicable, depending on the action required. A complete up-to-date list is contained within the HMCTS EX50A leaflet. More information is also contained on the GOV.UK website.

How can I make payment to the court?

You can make payment to the court by cash, cheque or postal order. Cheques and postal orders need to be made payable to HMCTS. Please note that courts can't accept payments by credit or debit cards.

Warning: If you do not pay the required fee, you may be unable to commence or continue with your claim.

What if I can't afford the fee?

The fee you will have to pay to the court will depend on the amount you are claiming, including interest. You will have to pay a court fee unless:

  • You or your partner receive Income Support
  • You or your partner receive Pension Credit guarantee credit
  • You receive income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Your gross annual income is £15,050 or less, and you receive Working Tax Credit with a 'disability element' or 'severe disability element'
  • Your gross annual income is £15,050 or less and you and your partner receive Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit between you
  • Your gross annual income is less than £13,000 as a single person. The limit changes depending on the number of dependants you have and if you are married

If you show that the payment of a court fee would involve undue hardship to you, the Court Manager may reduce the fee or 'remit' (say you do not have to pay) the fee.

Copyright © 2021 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).