Nullity orders

Nullity orders

Steps to get an annulment (undefended procedure)

The undefended procedure applies when you both agree about getting the annulment.

Issue your application for an annulment

To apply for a nullity, you follow the same steps as when you apply for a divorce or dissolution. The only exception is that you use Form D8N – 'Nullity petition' (instead of Form D8 – 'Divorce/dissolution').

Attend court to give evidence

Unlike the undefended divorce/dissolution procedure, a court appearance may be necessary in annulment cases. It is therefore more complicated to get an annulment than it is a divorce or dissolution, even if your spouse or civil partner consents.

It is strongly recommended that you get legal advice during this process.

Apply for decree nisi/conditional order and decree absolute/final order

To apply for your decree nisi/conditional order and your decree absolute/final order, you follow the same steps as for Divorce or dissolution orders. However, for the nullity petition, your 'Statement in support' would be one of the following:

  • Form D80F – 'Statement in support of nullity petition – void marriage/civil partnership'; or
  • Form D80G – 'Statement in support of nullity petition – voidable marriage/civil partnership'.

Copyright © 2021 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).