Continuing power of attorney

Continuing power of attorney

Continuing power of attorney

A continuing power of attorney is used to give another person, called your 'attorney', the power to act on your behalf and in your name in respect of your financial affairs. A continuing power of attorney is different from a GPA, in that this document can continue to be used even if in the future you no longer have the capacity to look after your own affairs.

A continuing power of attorney is only appropriate for use in Scotland. If you need a document for use in England & Wales or Northern Ireland, read our article on Choosing a power of attorney or our article on Northern Ireland Choosing a power of attorney, as appropriate, to find out which document to use.

What powers your attorney will have

The continuing power of attorney will give your attorney a general power over your financial affairs, as well as particular powers, such as the following:

  • Collecting pensions and other money due to you
  • Dealing with bank or building society accounts
  • Having access to financial information from your bank and other financial bodies
  • Buying and selling investments and other property, including houses
  • Signing documents and entering contracts
  • Bringing or defending legal actions, for example, in the case of an accident
  • Making gifts

When the power comes into effect

Springing clause

You can authorise your attorney to act for you whilst you are still able. You might want to do this for convenience. Alternatively, you can specify in your document that your attorney can only make use of the powers when one or more doctors certify that you are no longer capable of managing your own affairs. This is known as a springing clause and is designed to provide extra protection to you in the event of you becoming frail but not incapacitated and ensures that your ability to manage your affairs won't be taken from you by an over-enthusiastic attorney. Springing clauses also support your attorney, who may find it hard to decide whether or not he or she should take over particular tasks.


Continuing powers of attorney must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian in Scotland in order for them to be effective. You must complete a registration form and send it, together with your completed continuing power of attorney and the Public Guardian's Fee, to the Public Guardian's Office. This can be done by post or online. The registration form can be accessed on the Public Guardian's Office website.

The Public Guardian issues a certificate of registration, which the attorney may subsequently need to use to confirm that they are validly exercising their powers. Even if you have chosen to include a 'springing clause' (so that your continuing power of attorney will only be effective in the event that you no longer have capacity to manage your affairs) you still need to register it as soon as possible so that a valid and effective document is in place and available for use by your attorney, if and when required in the future.

There is a fee payable to the 'Scottish Court Service', for registering a power of attorney. The Public Guardian will send you a copy of the continuing power of attorney when it is registered.

Welfare powers of attorney

A welfare power of attorney gives your attorney the power to look after your personal welfare. This means that your attorney will have the power to do such things as consent to medical treatment on your behalf or decide where you should live.

As there is a close connection between making financial and welfare decisions, you may want to create both of these powers (continuing and welfare) at the same time. You can do this by creating these powers separately or in one combined continuing and welfare power of attorney.

Further information

If you need any further information, consult the Public Guardian's Office in Scotland by visiting the Public Guardian's website.

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.