Dealing with a deceased's debt

Dealing with a deceased's debt

What happens to debts when someone dies?

When someone dies, any debts they leave are paid out of their 'estate' (the money and property they leave behind). You're only responsible for their debts if you had a joint loan or agreement or provided a loan guarantee - you aren't automatically responsible for a spouse's or civil partner's debts.

The estate

A person's estate is made up of their cash (including from insurance), investments, property and possessions.

After someone dies, their estate is handled by one or more 'personal representatives (PRs)'. The PRs are often relatives or friends and/or a solicitor.

If the estate is worth above a certain amount, the PR will need special permission from the court - called a grant - to be able to deal with the person's affairs. This includes paying off their debts.

If there is not enough money to pay off all debts

In this case, the estate has to pay off any outstanding debts in a set priority order before anything is given to people named in the will, or until the money runs out.

Debts if you owned a home together

If you jointly owned your home with the deceased person and there's not enough money elsewhere in the estate to pay off the deceased person's debts, there is a chance that your home would have to be sold. Your options to avoid a sale depend on whether you owned it as 'tenants in common' or 'joint tenants'.

Tenants in common

In this case the share belonging to the person who has died becomes part of their estate and goes to whoever is mentioned in their will or those who benefit under the intestacy rules. But if there are outstanding debts these must be paid first from that share. To avoid a sale of the home, you and/or anyone due to inherit the second share will need to try and negotiate with those owed money ('creditors') and find the necessary money.

Joint tenants

In this case the deceased person's share passes automatically to you by survivorship.

However, even though it is now in your estate, you can't ignore the debts. Creditors can apply for an 'Insolvency Administration Order' within five years of the death.

Where an insolvency administration order is made, the trustee may seek to recover the value of the deceased debtor's interest in the property that has been lost to the estate by making an application to the court. On the application of the trustee, the court may make an order requiring the surviving partner to pay to the trustee an amount not exceeding the value lost to the estate.

How different debts are paid off


If the mortgage lender required life insurance, this may pay off the full amount of the loan. If there isn't any insurance – or if there were second mortgages not covered by insurance - the property may have to be sold.

Rent arrears

If you're a joint tenant in rented property you must pay off any rent arrears.

Water rates

Anyone still living in the house is responsible for ongoing charges.

Council Tax and Rates

Anyone still living in the house is responsible for ongoing charges. If the property remains unoccupied, there may be certain exemptions and discounts available. You should contact the relevant authority to obtain details of these.

Fuel bills

If you've been living in the property jointly, you may be liable for fuel bill arrears.

Hire purchase (HP agreements)

The buyer doesn't own the property until the last payment has been made. But if over one third of the agreement has been paid, the seller needs a court order to get the goods back.

Before returning goods or making payments, check to see if there was a payment protection plan.

Personal loans, credit cards and credit debt

If cards are held jointly, any debts will be the joint holder's responsibility – but check to see if you're covered by a payment protection plan.

Tax debts and overpaid benefits

Any tax owed or overpaid benefits or pension would be paid out of the estate. To prevent benefits overpayments and check if tax is owed contact the relevant office as soon as possible. You'll find contact details on relevant paperwork, or you can search online. The Department of Work & Pensions regularly lodges claims against estates for overpayment of benefits. They inspect the forms lodged with the Probate Registry/Office and compare the information there with information in their records relating to means tested benefit claims by the deceased. If they find any discrepancy they are likely to lodge a claim against the estate. You should always check before disbursing an estate especially if 6 months have not elapsed from the date of death that there are no outstanding claims for overpaid benefits.

Checking for insurance to cover debts

Always check carefully to see if the deceased person's debts are covered by:

  • Death cover for a mortgage
  • Payment protection cover for personal loans or credit cards
  • 'Death in service' from a pension (payment of a lump sum if the person dies before pension age)

Where to get help and advice

You can get free and independent advice on debt from a number of organisations:

National Debtline

StepChange Debt Charity

Citizens Advice

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.