How do I change my Will (England, Wales & NI)?

An explanation of the changes that you can make to your Will and the documents that you use to do so

If you need to make minor changes or additions to your Will you can use a document known as a 'codicil'. This is a separate document to your Will in which you can specify any changes you would like to make, such as add new gifts or appoint a new executor. Your codicil will need to be witnessed and signed in the same way as your Will and should kept together safely with your Will.

Although it is possible to create several codicils to amend your Will over time, to avoid confusion it is advisable not to exceed five, but to draft an entirely new Will instead. The following codicils are available:

  • Codicil appointing substitute executor on death of executor
  • Codicil making an additional gift to an existing beneficiary
  • Codicil revoking a gift to a named beneficiary
  • Codicil revoking appointment of executor & appointing substitute
  • Codicil revoking gift to one and giving to another

It is wise to review your Will regularly and amend it as necessary, particularly if there has been a significant change to your circumstances, such as getting married, having children or getting divorced.

The information on this page applies to England and Wales only.

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.