How do I give notice to my tenants?

The right forms together with solicitor guide to giving a residential tenant notice to quit premises

If you have rented out your property under an 'Assured shorthold tenancy agreement', you're entitled to regain possession of it by notifying your tenant under the terms of Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 (known as a Section 21 Notice).

The Section 21 Notice must inform your tenant that they need to vacate your property. The length of the notice will be:

  • 2 months' notice for weekly, fortnightly and monthly tenancies
  • A full period's notice for quarterly and 6-monthly tenancies
  • A full 6 months' notice for yearly tenancies

The date stated in the Section 21 notice for when the tenancy ends depends on whether the property is in England or Wales.

In Wales the date must precisely state the date of the last day of a tenancy period. This means that depending on when you serve a section 21 notice, you might have to give more than the minimum notice so that it ends on the correct date.

In England the date stated in the section 21 notice for when the tenancy ends doesn't have to be precise. It can be any date so long as you have given the minimum period of notice. You can't serve a section 21 notice within the first 4 months of the tenancy.

Our Section 21 Notice will take you through every step of the procedure with comprehensive, jargon-free explanations.

Start your 'Section 21 notice' now

The information on this page applies to England and Wales only.

Copyright © 2022 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).