Law guide: Property

See how we helped Michael

"Fantastic! The legal document I used was so comprehensive and easy to complete. It is very reassuring to know my business now has this level of protection"

Michael S, London

How to find and manage tenants

How to find and manage tenants

Lettings and property management agents

Some landlords use lettings agents to find tenants for their property and/or property management agents to manage the rental (including rent collection, repairs and maintenance checks).

Agents who are members of a professional organisation are required to operate to standards recognised by their organisations. These include the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, the Association of Residential Letting Agents, the Incorporated Society of Valuers and Auctioneers, and the National Association of Estate Agents.

Landlords should be aware that any agent they appoint will be bound by the actions of their agent if they act within the authority given to them. Landlords should ensure their agent is reputable and that there is a clear agreement of what they are authorised to do.

Letting agents in Scotland must comply with a Letting Agent Code of Practice and join a Register of Letting Agents. The Register of Letting Agents is administered by Scottish Ministers to ensure that every letting agent is suitable to do the job and has met minimum training requirements.

Tenant fees ban

Since 1 June 2019 in England and 1 September 2019 in Wales, neither agents nor landlords can charge tenants certain fees in relation to a letting. A similar ban has been in effect in Scotland since 2012. See Fees ban for more information.

Redress scheme (England only)

Lettings agents and property management agents in England must be members of a redress scheme. The scheme enables landlords and tenants (who have an assured tenancy, including an AST) to make complaints about lettings agents, and/or property management work.

Housing associations

Some housing associations lease property from landlords for periods of at least 2 years and/or manage the property (and charge a fee to cover their management costs or deduct the costs from the rental income). They may be able to provide help with the cost of repairs to bring the property up to standard for letting – for more about housing standards see Housing standards.

For more information, get in touch with the housing department of the local authority for where the property is located.

Copyright © 2022 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).