Law guide: Business start-up

See how we helped Michael

"Fantastic! The legal document I used was so comprehensive and easy to complete. It is very reassuring to know my business now has this level of protection"

Michael S, London

Capital Gains Tax

Capital Gains Tax

What is Capital Gains Tax?

Sole traders are also subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

CGT is a tax charged on the profit or gain you make when you 'dispose of' an asset, e.g. if you sell it or give it away as a gift.

It's the gain you make that's taxed, not the sale price.

Most assets are liable to CGT when you dispose of them. This includes shares, property, business assets and personal possessions, whether they're in the UK or overseas. But some assets are exempt.

Exempt assets

Exempt assets include:

  • your car
  • personal injury compensation
  • betting, lottery or pools winnings
  • stocks and shares in tax-free investment savings accounts, e.g. ISAs and PEPs
  • personal possessions worth up to £6,000 each, e.g. jewellery, paintings or antiques
  • UK government or 'gilt-edged' securities, e.g. National Savings Certificates, Premium Bonds and loan stock issued by the Treasury
  • any foreign currency held for your own or your family's personal use outside the UK (e.g. if you've made a gain because of a change to the exchange rate)

Working out your gain

To work out your gain, take the sale price of the asset and deduct:

  • cost of the asset;
  • any incidental costs of sale and purchase (such as solicitors' fees, real estate agents' fees and stamp duty land tax); and
  • any costs of permanent improvements.

For example, if you sell a property in January 2021:

Sale price of property


Less costs of sale


Less purchase price


Less costs of purchase


Less cost of extension



The annual tax-free allowance

You have an annual tax-free allowance for CGT known as the 'Annual Exempt Amount' (AEA). It's £3,000 for individuals and £1,500 for trustees for the tax year 2024-25.

If your overall gains for the tax year are above this, you'll pay CGT on the excess.

If your overall gains are below the AEA, you won't pay CGT.

The rate of Capital Gains Tax

There are 4 rates of CGT that apply to sole traders: 10% if your income is within the basic tax band rate; 20% if your income is above that; except disposals of residential property which are taxed at 18% and 24%. (For disposals before April 2016, all Capital Gains Tax was 18% or 28%.) You can read more about CGT calculations on the HM Revenue & Customs' website.


You sell residential property in January 2025 and make a gain of £147,800. In addition, you:

  • sell no other assets for the tax year;
  • have no losses from previous tax years;
  • have no reliefs available (see Reliefs from Capital Gains Tax); and
  • are a higher rate taxpayer.

Your CGT would be calculated as follows:



Less AEA (Tax year 24/25)


Taxable gain


CGT at 24%£34,752

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.