Giving notice

Giving notice

Giving notice

It is a legal requirement to give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership even if you're travelling from overseas to register a civil partnership in the UK.

Residency requirements

There are different residency requirements depending on where in the UK you wish to register the civil partnership.

England & Wales

If you are both from the UK

You can give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership in England and Wales at your local register office. You must have lived in the area covered by that register office for at least the prior 7 days. If your intended civil partner lives in a different area, they will need to give notice separately at their local register office.

If either of you is not from the UK

You would need to give notice together at the local registration office where at least one of you has lived for 7 days prior to the day you give notice. This applies even if your civil partner gave notice separately before 1 July 2021: if they did, you'll both have to give notice again (together).

You don't have to give notice together if each of you has one of the following:

  • British or Irish citizenship
  • settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • a pending application made to the EU Settlement Scheme on or before 30 June 2021.

Officers, ratings or marines on board one of Her Majesty's ships at sea can give notice to the captain or other commanding officer provided the person with whom they intend to register a civil partnership is resident in England and Wales.

Northern Ireland and Scotland

There are no residency requirements in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Visa requirement to register a civil partnership

If either you or your intended civil partner are from outside the UK, you may need a visa before you can register your civil partnership. The type of visa will depend on where you intend living after the event. More information to check if you can form a civil partnership in the UK is available on GOV.UK.

What information does notice include?

A civil partnership notice states for each person:

  • Name and surname
  • Date of birth
  • Condition (civil partnership status)
  • Occupation
  • Nationality
  • Place of formation

Documentation required

You will need to show the registrar documentary evidence of your name, age and nationality – ideally in the form of your passport. You will also be asked to provide evidence of your address.

If you have registered a civil partnership before, you will also need to produce documents that confirm that you are now free to enter into a new civil partnership. These could include:

  • A decree or final order of civil partnership dissolution or certified copy order.
  • The death certificate of your former civil partner

And, if you are subject to immigration control, you will also need to produce documentary evidence to confirm that you are eligible to enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

Where and how to give notice

You must both give notice in person. No one else can do it on your behalf.

You both need to go to the appropriate registration authority for your jurisdiction to give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership.

England & Wales

In England and Wales, you have to go to your local register office. See above under Residency requirements for more information.

You can register your partnership in a different area to the one where you give notice, but you will also have to contact the register office in which the registration is due to take place.

When you give notice in Wales, you may do it in either English, or in English and Welsh. If notice is to be given bilingually, both the person giving notice and the registrar you see must be able to understand the Welsh language. All local authorities in Wales have at least one Welsh-speaking registrar or deputy.

Northern Ireland and Scotland

In Northern Ireland and Scotland, you must go to the District Registrar's office for the district where the civil partnership ceremony is taking place and not in the district where you reside, if these districts are different.

If you, or the person whom you want to register a civil partnership with, are subject to immigration control, you must go to the designated office together and satisfy the eligibility requirements in a 'giving notice' interview.

What happens after you give notice?


Once given, your notices are publicised by the relevant registration authority by being displayed in the Marriage Notice Book. The notice will be publicised for 28 days.

When to give notice

After giving this notice, normally you must wait until this publication period is over before you can register the civil partnership. Your notice will remain valid for 12 months in England & Wales and Northern Ireland, but only 3 months in Scotland, so you will want to take these time frames into consideration when thinking about when you wish to register your civil partnership.

The civil partnership schedule

Based on the information that you both provide, the relevant registration authority will prepare the civil partnership schedule. This document contains all relevant particulars for the purposes of registering the civil partnership itself. Both of you will have to sign it together with two witnesses and the registrar on the day of the registration. The information contained in the schedule will then be inserted in the civil partnership register.

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.