Accountants belong to professional organisations that make sure their members abide by certain codes of conduct and work in a competent manner. Sometimes, however, problems may arise.

If you aren't happy with an accountant's service

If you aren't happy with the service your accountant is providing, you should first explain your complaint to them. Be sure to set out how you'd like your complaint to be resolved. You should also check if your accountant has a complaints policy or process.

If the accountant doesn't provide a good enough response, put the complaint in writing and send it to the person named on the complaints policy, if there is one, or the senior partner (or principal if the firm is a sole practice). You should say what you'd like the firm to do and set a deadline by which they should put things right.

If you're still unhappy with the actions of the accountant, you should complain directly to their regulatory body. There are professional bodies that regulate the accountancy profession, but for most consumer-based accountancy work, the regulatory body will probably be one of the institutes of chartered accountants.

There are institutes for each region of the UK:

England and Wales


Northern Ireland

You can complain to these regulatory bodies by filling out a complaint form on their website or by complaining in writing.

Going to court

Going to court should be the last resort if you think the professional bodies haven't dealt with your complaint properly. An action against an accountant is likely to be for a breach of contract. If the sums involved are substantial, you should consider using a solicitor.

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.