Getting a number plate

Getting a number plate

How do I get a number plate made up?

To have a number plate made up for your vehicle, you must go to a (registered number plate supplier).

What will I need?

You'll need to go to the registered supplier with:

1. Proof of your entitlement to the plates, which could be any one of the following:

  • Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI) - these are the preferred documents
  • The new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI) of the registration certificate
  • Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI)
  • Retention document (V778) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
  • Vehicle tax renewal reminder or Statutory Off Road Notification (V11 or V11NI)
  • Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • Authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the DVLA, DVA or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) (England and Wales only); the letter must quote the document reference number from the registration certificate, not the vehicle identification number

2. Proof of identity, which could be any one of the following:

  • Driving licence, whether or not issued in the UK (with or without a photo)
  • An electricity, gas, water supplier, landline telephone, council tax or rates bill issued within the last 6 months
  • A bank or building society statement issued within the last 6 months
  • A passport
  • A national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the UK
  • A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • A police warrant card
  • An armed forces identity card

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.