Injuries and damage

Injuries and damage

Criminal injuries compensation

If a driver deliberately hits you with their car and you can show that there was criminal intent, you can apply for compensation for injury. You can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or the Compensation Agency in Northern Ireland. A personal injury isn't a criminal injury, unless the vehicle was used to deliberately inflict, or try to inflict, injury to any person. For example, it would be a criminal injury where an intruder is fleeing from private land and deliberately runs over a security guard in making their escape.

If this has happened to you, you must report the matter to the police as soon as possible. You can get application forms from the police station or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. In England and Wales the maximum award is £500,000. In Northern Ireland the award can exceed £500,000, but any payment can be made in stages, rather than a lump sum. The awards are according to a tariff that sets out the amounts payable for each type of injury. The application must be made within 2 years of the injury.

Relatives or dependents of those who've suffered a fatal injury can also make applications.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau

All insurers in Great Britain are required to be members of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) and to contribute to its funding. It has been created to provide compensation to victims of:

  • Uninsured drivers
  • Untraced drivers (hit and run)
  • Accidents with foreign-registered vehicles in the UK or European Economic Area

If you've successfully sued an offender but they're unable to pay compensation, the MIB will pay the damages awarded according to the 'Uninsured Drivers Agreement'.

If it was a 'hit and run' accident, the matter is dealt with under the 'Untraced Drivers Agreement'. The MIB will gather details of the injuries and circumstances of the accident and pay a sum, which should reflect the amount you would have received in court. If you're not satisfied with the award, you can appeal.

If you've been injured by this type of driver, you must contact the MIB with details of the accident and the injuries concerned. It's important that the police are called to the scene of an accident. Their report will be important in any claim for compensation that is made by anyone involved in the accident.

For more information, visit the MIB website.

Related services

Copyright © 2022 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).