Law guide: Workplace

See how we helped Liz

"It's not just a website... there are people there on call who can help answer your queries."

Liz W, London

Health and safety representatives

Health and safety representatives

Health and safety representatives

Your employer has a duty to consult with employees about health and safety issues in the workplace. They do this by either talking direct to them or to a safety representative acting on behalf of the employees.

Safety representatives

If your employer recognises a trade union and the union has appointed a safety representative (SR), your employer must consult the SR. If there is no recognised union, your employer must either consult you direct or, if a representative of employee safety (ROES) has been elected, consult directly with you or the ROES.

Your SR will give you confidential help and advice. They can help you solve problems and they have legal duties, including:

  • Representing you in talks with the employer or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE and HSENI) or other safety or environmental enforcement agencies
  • Investigating complaints, possible hazards and dangerous incidents
  • Carrying out regular inspections of the workplace
  • Taking part in workplace risk assessments

A ROES has less legal authority than an SR. Their duties include:

  • Representing the interests of employees to the employer in consultation with the HSE or HSENI and other safety or environmental enforcement agencies
  • Speaking to the employer about hazards at work and other health and safety issues

Consultation your employer must give

Your employer has a legal duty to:

  • Consult about anything that may affect health and safety in the workplace
  • Give you, if you are being consulted directly, or your SR or ROES, the chance to state their views

They must take account of these views when making a decision.

Your employer must consult on:

  • Changes in working practices or procedures that could affect your health and safety
  • Arrangements for using qualified people to help the business comply with health and safety legislation
  • Information to be made available on health and safety risks in the workplace
  • Planning of any health and safety training
  • Health and safety issues with new technology

If your employer doesn't consult as the law requires, they're committing an offence.

How do you become a safety representative?

If your trade union is recognised and you want to become an SR, speak to your branch secretary about how to get yourself elected or appointed to represent the workforce. You'll normally need two years' experience of working in your job or in similar work.

Safety representatives have the right to:

  • The use of a phone and office equipment to perform your role
  • Reasonable paid time off work to meet staff and other reps and to carry out inspections
  • Time off for relevant training (and to be paid for the time off if it's during normal working hours).

A representative of employee safety (ROES) has to be elected by the workforce. As an ROES, your employer is required to provide you with and pay for relevant training in health and safety matters. If the training is during your normal working hours, you have the right to time off with pay.

Under the law you're protected as a safety 'whistleblower' if there has been:

  • A criminal offence
  • A breach of a legal obligation
  • A miscarriage of justice
  • A danger to the health and safety of any individual
  • Damage to the environment
  • Deliberate covering up of information about any of these.

What to do next

If you want to talk about a health and safety matter at work, find out who your safety representative is. Contact your trade union representative or local branch secretary if you're a member of a union. Otherwise, ask your line manager.

If you're already a safety representative, make sure you're adequately trained. If your employer refuses to give you time off for training, or doesn't pay you for time taken off, you can make a claim at an employment tribunal (or industrial tribunal in Northern Ireland).

If your employer doesn't follow the regulations on health and safety consultation, you should follow its grievance procedure.

Where to get more information

For any advice on health and safety at work, consult the HSE website (or HSENI website) or call the HSE's or HSENI's Infoline which provide rapid and confidential access to health and safety information, expert advice and guidance.

Copyright © 2024 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.