Law guide: Landlords

See how we helped Liz

"It's not just a website... there are people there on call who can help answer your queries."

Liz W, London

Landlord responsibilities

Landlord responsibilities

If you're letting (or thinking of letting), you must be aware of your rights, responsibilities and legal obligations to tenants.

The law protects tenants; in particular, there are laws and procedures that govern:

For tenancies in England see the government guide: Landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities in the private rented sector

Do you have the right to let the property?

Before you can start letting, you must first check that you have the right to let the property. You may need to get consent to let from third parties.

Mortgage lenders

If you have a mortgage, you must get your mortgage lender's agreement to let the property before you do so.


Some properties have a lease as the document of title (for example, flats/apartments, maisonettes, and many residential properties built pre-2000 in Northern Ireland). For leasehold properties, you should check the terms of the lease to see whether it gives permission to letting. If necessary, you'll need to get permission from the freeholder (or management company) before you may do so.

In Northern Ireland, if you are the first purchaser of a new house then there may be conditions in your contract for sale that prohibit you from renting the property, either for a designated period of time or permanently.

Buildings insurer

You should check with your insurer whether your buildings insurance policy will provide cover if the property is let; if it doesn't, you may need to extend the cover.

Copyright © 2022 Epoq Group Ltd. All trademarks acknowledged, all rights reserved

This website is operated by Epoq Legal Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number 3707955, whose registered office is at 2 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JN. Epoq Legal Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 645296).